I ran a marathon pacing interval set (5 miles on, 5 minute recovery, 4, 3, 2, 1) on the treadmill.
I haven’t had what I’ve felt was a satisfactory workout since the November marathon in Indianapolis. This workout took care of that void.
No gels, just 96 ounces of Gatorade as fuel.
This was my fastest “long” workout since before the Indianapolis marathon (including the two marathons in between).
I also managed to break my half marathon PR by four minutes on the treadmill, even with 2 miles of recovery jogs in the first 13.11 miles.
Sometimes, you need to test what you’re made of. I feel a little better now.
I’m stuck in Windows XP land for the time being, so some of this rant is taken care of elsewhere. I hope.
1. Don’t tell me about the update unless it is absolutely necessary for me to stop what I’m doing for the update to proceed.
2. Automatically update, unless a core component of the system is going to be updated. For Windows, this should mean one of a handful of files. Unfortunely, DLLs do not seem to behave that well when in use.
3. Back up the files and configurations being edited.
4. Unit test the validity of the update.
5. Don’t ask me to reboot, unless core system files have been updated.
Two years ago, I did a pretty good job combining training with weight loss by tracking my calories in a spreadsheet (2010 version). The spreadsheet has a few components:
- Day’s weight (post workout, preferably).
- Base calorie needs (weight in pounds x 13 calories)
- Net intake [calories consumed – calories burned running only – base calorie needs]
- Intake [calories consumed – calories burned running only]
- calories consumed with notes
- calories burned based on post-workout weight and distance ran [using numbers from RunningAhead.com]
When I was keeping up with things, the calories per pound [H3 cell] was pretty close to 3500.
One challenge that I had was trying to be honest about “how much” food I was consuming when the portions weren’t from a pre-measured package or menu item. Ultimately, it was the tedious game of guessing my calorie intake that frustrated me and caused me to stop tracking calories.
To combat that problem, I have purchased the following food scale. There are a wealth of resources to help determine the calorie content of foods, generally by googling “[food name] calories”. However, the portions aren’t always usable or realistic. With this scale, I hope to remove some of the time-consuming guess work from tracking my calories.
[Paid Amazon Affiliate link]