It’s been since spring since I raced a 5k. I had forgotten how intense the burn is compared to even a slightly longer race, like a 5 miler. My target was 21:30, but lost a little bit of the mental will to complete the challenge mid-race, especially after going out a little too hard in the 1st 1/4 mile. Still, I was able to lock onto someone ahead of me the whole race for pacing and finally pass him just past the 3 mile mark.
The race course had +/- 100 ft of elvation change, which worked out to about 1.3% average incline. The course also had 2 turnarounds, which I think I managed to pick up some speed on.
My previous 5k PR, set at the Anthem 5k this year, was 21:54. I beat that mark by 13 seconds @ 21:41. Given that I’ve battled a couple injuries this year, and ran a marathon 2 weeks ago, I’m happy. For the record, that’s 9 PRs this year, and my first race at a sub-7 pace.
9 PRs this year, including 2 10 milers and 2 5ks.
- Hangover Classic 10-miler PR — 1:23:06
- Anthem 5k PR — 21:54
- Rodes City Run 10k PR — 46:26
- Papa John’s 10-miler PR — 1:15:20
- KDF mini-marathon PR — 1:46:12
- Flying Pig marathon PR — 3:39:44
- Hunger Relief Relay (9.2) PR — 1:12:34
- Home Run 5 miler PR — 37:03
- Santa Sprint and Stroll — 21:41
1/4 mile splits: