- Started work on a solo project at work that pretty much gave me lots of experience building something from end to end.
- Working from home 2/3rds of the time to work out any kinks for a possible move to Florida.
- Thank yous going out to people who helped fund Emily’s medical mission to Kenya.
- Emily is gone for 10 days on a trip to Africa.
- I have to dress the kids by myself exactly one day of her absence.
- …because the kids were off school due to snow the entire following week.
- The small solo project goes into “User Experience auditing” mode and I get help actually meeting the demands.
- The kids were off school due to snow (for entire week?) again.
- Painting, final prep for selling the house.
- Spent a week with mostly no cell signal in St George Island
- Broke news to parents officially that we were moving.
- Sold the house then listed it. (At least that was the order the offer versus official listing happened in.)
- Packed up the house, closed on the house, vacated the house, and flew off for the Philippines in a span of 5 days (with our 12th wedding anniversary in between.)
- Last times accompanying at various churches in Louisville.
- Went to the Daluyon resort on the island of Palawan in The Philippines.
- Celebrated my grandmother’s 100th birthday with the rest of the family in The Philippines.
- Realized the madness that is flying to/from and traveling in a foreign country with very picky eaters as kids.
- Flew back to the US, tried to adjust to jetlag in 2 days, drove our belongings not packed in a trailer to Florida in two cars (one with a broken A/C).
- Scrambled to find a rental house that accepted a big dog in the school district we wanted, signed a lease, moved in (in a week from arriving in Florida)
- Officially began my 100% remote work life.
- Sister-in-law brought our dogs down.
- Kids started at their new school.
- I wilted on runs in the Florida sun and heat.
- Transferred our licenses and cars to Florida officially.
- Went to beaches
- Emily waited around on callbacks from job applications.
- Joined in with the Cathedral music program.
- Went to beaches
- Actually saw a decent amount of the area on foot–running.
- Not so much with the beaches.
- Emily started a new job!
- Olivia made All County Chorus
- Failed at Monkey (intentionally bailed at 11.5 miles, may have missed my bail out point a couple times.)
- Drove back to Louisville, had good times, but way more hectic than expected.
- Apparently the A/C can mostly not run in December in Florida.
- Went back to Louisville for Christmas.
- Quite a bit of Hamilton the Musical.
- Surprisingly less music listened to at home office than on site. Strange.
- 72 Books. Getting into Hamilton the Musical led me Chernow’s biography of Hamilton. Excellent book, very dense read.
- Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke and the Space Odyssey series were also exceptional (though I was a bit disappointed in 3001).
- In following the post-apocalyptic/YA-ish series reads of past years, I got into the Extinction Point series by Paul Antony Jones
- …less impressive was the Defiance trilogy (CJ Redwine), probably due to the believability of an alien race doing astounding things versus ordinary humans accomplishing futuristic feats in a world thrown back to the Dark Ages.