(This is emulating the Model 16 using the trs80gp emulator and saving/load from virtual disk.)
Setting up a fresh disk
If you’re already in BASIC, just open another trs80gp emulator to create the new disk first.
- Insert a new disk by going to Diskette -> :1 <empty> -> <<unformatted dmk>>
FORMAT 1and “Y” when asked to Continue?
- Once formatting completes select Diskette -> :1 * <<unformatted>> -> Export… -> [fill out “File name:” field] -> [Save]
- Now load the saved disk with Diskette -> :1 * <<unformatted>> -> Replace… -> [select the disk file you just created] -> [Open]
DIR 1should show the empty disk in drive 1
Saving your work
- Compose your program in
- The filespec of
filename/ext.password:drive_number(if you’re used to DOS 8.3 names or Windows, your habitual “extension” would be a “password” in TRSDOS-II)
- To save a program named “COS” with a “BAS” extension on Drive 1, type
SYSTEMto exit basic.
DIR 1should should the directory of your disk with the
COS/BASshowing. In my example below, I also tried to save “COS.BAS” which is actually “COS” with a password of “BAS”
Loading your work
- You can
DUMPyour saved file with the
COS/BASfilespec as before, but it will be a somewhat binary output and not plain text like you might expect from modern programming language files.
- Ultimately, you will have to go back to BASIC to reload with the same filespec (
- TRSDOS-II Reference manual for the Model 16 (and II & 12) – Toc, Chapter 1 & 2 from PDF documentation for the Tandy TRS-80 model II