New Silk PLA, New Problems
I bought some new rainbow filament (TTYT3D Rainbow silk PLA), and was able to print the dog phone holder without modifications to the temperature settings for the bed or hotend. You’ll notice some slight imperfections in the skirt, and there was a bit of filament I had to trim off the finished product.
Of course, even if I had needed to change the temperature settings as I later found in the reviews for the above filament, I had the .stl file, so I could have adjusted it in CURA.
Cat 3.5H Print
I have a print of the cat (maneki-neko) model that came with my Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer for every filament that I’ve bought, so I tried with both glass and magnetic bed, releveling a few times. Each print would either fail to adhere to the bed at some point or flow of the filament would clog and force the model loose.
I found in the reviews for the filament that 215℃ for the hotend 60℃ for the bed would be better for printing, but the file that comes on the included SD card is in .gcode format. You can find .stl versions of the same model, but I wanted to otherwise keep the same file… so I needed to hand edit the source (since at least Cura wasn’t going to help me).
Editing the gcode
Copy the gcode file before anything else and edit the copy. For editing, VSCode has a number of gcode plugins to help highlight the code if you wish.
You need to find instances of the following codes in your file:
- M140 – Set Bed Temperature
- M190 – Wait for Bed Temperature
- M104 – Set Hotend Temperature
- M109 – Wait for Hotend Temperature
M106 S0 M140 S45 M190 S45 M104 S200 T0 M109 S200 T0
M104 S215 T0
M109 S215 T0
Don’t be misled by comments
The lines beginning with semicolons are comments. Without syntax highlighting, I had just blindly searched on “temperature” but you really need to find the
M* codes setting the printer settings.
; temperatureNumber,0,0 ; temperatureSetpointCount,1,1 ; temperatureSetpointLayers,1,1 ; temperatureSetpointTemperatures,215,60 ; temperatureStabilizeAtStartup,1,1
As seen above, the updated settings allowed the print to complete.